Text size:
Tracing an unclaimed Industrial Branch policy?

Do you think you have an Industrial Branch policy that hasn’t been claimed?

What is an Industrial Branch policy?

Industrial Branch (IB) policies were written between 1839 and 1997 and the premiums were generally collected weekly through a door-to-door collection service provided by Britannic Assurance, Pearl Assurance or Swiss Life. IB policies were often taken out to pay for funeral expenses on death or used as a savings policy that would pay a lump sum at the maturity date. Britannic Assurance, Pearl Assurance and Swiss Life are now owned by Phoenix Life; if you think you have an IB policy that hasn’t been claimed please read on to find out what to do and how to contact Phoenix.

Do you think you have an unclaimed IB policy?

We understand that over time policyholders can misplace policy documents or forget to notify us when circumstances change; like moving house or upon the death of the proposer or premium payer. If you think you had one of these policies and believe it remains unclaimed, you can contact us on the telephone numbers shown below and we will make every effort to trace the policy for you. Please see the ‘When contacting us’ section below to find out what information we require to help us trace a policy.

  • ex-Britannic Assurance: Telephone: 0345 305 5552
  • ex-Pearl Assurance: Telephone: 0345 880 0088
  • ex-Swiss Life: Telephone: 0800 026 2830
    Please note that the Companies administered by Swiss Life include the following:
    • Blackburn Assurance Limited
    • Blackburn Assurance Limited
    • Blackburn Philanthropic Burial Society
    • Bristol, West of England and South Wales Friendly Collecting Society
    • City of Birmingham Friendly Society
    • National Friendly Collecting Society
    • Pioneer Life Assurance Company Limited
    • Pioneer Mutual Insurance Company Limited
    • Preston Philanthropic
    • Royal Co-operative Collecting Society
    • Stamford Mutual insurance company Limited

Call lines open Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 5.30pm, excluding bank holidays. Low call rates apply, calls can vary between telecom providers. We may record or monitor calls for your protection.

When contacting us

To help us trace your policy please have the following information to hand:

  • Full name of Life Assured / Policyholder (including maiden name if applicable)
  • Date of Birth of Life Assured / Policyholder
  • Policy number (this can be found in the Policy document or Premium receipt book)
  • Policyholders current / last known address and any previous addresses you are aware of
  • Any further information displayed in an old Premium receipt book such as the amount and date of the last premium paid, etc.

We will make every effort to trace a policy for you however it may be difficult if you are unable to provide full information.

What else can I do to trace a policy?

You can call other companies direct if you think you have a policy with them or you may wish to check the Unclaimed Assets Register (UAR) whose main aim is to reunite consumers with their lost assets. The Register contains details of unclaimed financial assets held by insurers, pension providers, financial institutions and listed companies. The service is provided by Experian and aims to help you locate your lost assets and put you in touch with the financial providers to claim your money. Please note a fee is charged for their services if you wish to carry out a search. Please visit www.uar.co.uk for further information.

Search another policy

Click to search for a different policy from the list

Contact us

Find contact details, information about your policy or make changes online

Your retirement options

View our video to help you to understand the retirement options and help available to you

Need more help

Need help to find out who your previous policy provider was?

We can see that you are using Internet Explorer 8 to view our website. This means certain content may not be available to you.

In order to get the best experience from our website, please upgrade to a later version of Internet Explorer or use an alternative such as Chrome or Firefox.